After reading what I could before the voting for the Hugo Awards I have been a bit away from the blog.
However, the scifi has not been dormant. This is the harvest of the last few months :
Been to a small Convention in Copenhagen, the “Fantasticon”
– reading a few of Jim Butcher’s “Dresden Files” books, good fun, but I think it is time for a break after the first three.
– on some long trips I have been listening to audio .
A. The Leviathan Chronicles (podcast audio play)
B. The audio books of the 6 “main series” books of Anne McCaffreys Dragonriders of Pern. I started reading the series when a friend recommended it some 7 years ago, and found them solid pieces of storytelling on an epic scale. The 6 books are :
3. The White Dragon (won the Hugo Award for best novel)
4. Renegades of Pern
5. All the Weyrs of Pern
6. The Skies of Pern
C. Lots of podcasts , Babylon Podcast, Slice of SciFi, Dragonpage cover to cover, Starship Sofa, Escape Pod, and several others.
– watching this years Hugo Award winner for best dramatic presentation, long form : The film “Moon”, very good
– watching the first season of Eureka : Quite enjoyable, not in the heavy weight category
– watching the second season of Fringe : I enjoyed it quite a bit, even if the mid season was a bit light on the story arc. This seems to conform my idea that shorter seasons generally work better than the +20 episode seasons.
– watching the mini series from Steven Moffat : “Sherlock” very enjoyable
I will be writing a bit more on some of the above stuff, so watch this space.